Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Custom Table Linens

For quite some time I have been looking for table linens to compliment our colorful Fiestaware dishes, but it has been more difficult than you may think. I wanted something colorful and floral but couldn’t find just the right print that didn’t cost more than all of my dishes put together. I finally decided that if I couldn’t find what I was looking for I should just make my own.
Luckily Joann’s had just the perfect indoor décor fabric that would go perfectly with my dishes AND I had a great coupon – 20% off my entire purchase and the fabric was already 30%! Score! Luckily, I had the perfect color thread left over from my outdoor cushion project because I forgot to get some when I was at the store.
After washing, trimming, and ironing my fabric, the sewing was pretty much a breeze. I marked 1” in then folded the fabric over to meet the line I drew giving me ½” to work with, which was plenty. I sewed each side and then folded the seam over and sewed over it again to make sure that the edges don’t fray.
The tablecloth ended up a little shorter than planned after I evened up and trimmed the edges off, but I don’t mind – less chance of me catching the tablecloth on something. After I finished the tablecloth, I decided to make a matching runner for the dresser-turned-sideboard we decided to put up against the adjacent wall.
I have leftover fabric that I’m not really sure what do to with. I may make placemats just as an alternate way to set the table or might make a cushion for the one chair in the set. It might even make a cute cover for a recipe book! Who knows?!

No comments:

Post a Comment