Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Adding a little flavor (figuratively and literally) to the garden

Last weekend after the Mother's Day festivities had wrapped up, I decided to make a trip to Freddy's to see if I couldn't find some plants for the yard. I had been wanting a few hydrangeas for a while now and was very pleased to see that they had some! They were a little smaller than I had envisioned, but I decided that they would do. I also decided to buy some peonies for some height in one of my raised flower beds along with a few herbs to try my hand at those.

When I returned home it was about 5:30 and I was determined to get my new plants in the ground before the weather turned. I planted the hydrangeas on either side of the gazebo. I am hoping that they stay a pretty blue color to compliment the new furniture cushions. I am also hoping that I didn't plant them to close to the trees and that they survive. The last one I tried to plant didn't make it.

The peonies were kind of a no-brainer. I think I want to get two more for the other flower bed to match. These are supposed to have a light pink flower, but who knows if those tags they put in the pots are really accurate.

I planted the herbs all together in one of the barrel planters under the window. When the Marigolds from the school arrive, I plan to add some of those to the pot to keep the pests away and add some color. I have never grown any kind of herbs or vegetables outside before so this should be an adventure. I already think that it is going to be too wet outside for the basil. If that's the case I will just have to move it inside.
There is more planting to come I'm sure, we are just waiting for two things to make it happen... good weather and the next paycheck.

1 comment:

  1. I will be so jealous if your peonies make it! They have never survived at my place.

    ReplyDelete