Monday, May 30, 2011

Backyard in Bloom

Things are finally blooming in our backyard... now that it is almost June. Here are some photos of things I've planted, hanging baskets, and even some things I didn't even know were there.

These Fushias and Trailing Petunias are in hanging baskets under the eves of the Gazebo

Last weekened I was browsing the perennials section at Lowes and came across a beautiful Variegated Wallflower. I had heard of a wallflower before, but had never seen one. The different colored blooms and the two-toned striped leaves were so pretty and different from anything else in my garden, I had to buy one. I decided to plant it between the two peonies I had previously planted.

Last year we transplanted a lilac bush that was growing in the middle of the area where we built the dog kennel. It was getting large and we wanted to give the dogs more space. I had heard that lilacs are pretty hearty when transplanted so I was not too concerned about the shrub dying. However, it didn't bloom last year and I was concerned that I may have done something wrong when moviing it. This is why I was so pleased when it popped into full bloom this year. It smells lovely! Take a look...

I was also very suprised by these Lilies of the Valley that I found growing in a corner of the yard. I had no idea what they were until the little white flowers bloomed. They are growing next to one of the paths that the pups use regularly so I am suprised that they have not been thuroughly trampled.

I also thought it would be nice to bring some of the garden into the gazebo, so I planted some white impatiens in planters to complement the decor.




More to come soon I'm sure

No comments:

Post a Comment