Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A soft (and fashionable) place to land

So as you may or may not know, we have a lovely hand-built gazebo in our back yard. However, for the past three years the structure has mostly gone unused. I would attribute this to not having furniture that we liked or that was comfortable.

In a few weeks I will be hosting a baby shower for a friend and thought how cute it would be if we could use the Gazebo (provided that the weather cooperates of course). Well, this thought then prompted me to think about my Gazebo decor which really left something to be desired. However, upon looking around online for replacement chair and bench cushions I was shocked at how expensive they were! On top of that I could not for the life of me find a pattern that I liked and found that the custom-built benches of the gazebo are a rather odd size . My solution to this problem prompted one of my all-time craftiest projects ever!

Using 2" foam, outdoor canvas, UV resistant thread, ribbon, and Velcro I managed to put together new cushions and cushion covers for our Gazebo. Yay me! My first real sewing project ever has been a success!

On top of sewing the cushions and cushion covers, I decided that the pink metal of our current chair frames had to go. Using Gripper primer and white spray paint, I transformed the frames to a nice clean white which complements my fabric choice very nicely.

Now, for you visual people out there, here are the before and after shots!




Now I am thinking about other ways to update the Gazebo and make it a place I want to be on a nice summer day. This may include planters, candle holders, and perhaps even a paper lantern hanging from the top! I will post pictures when the whole thing is complete!

1 comment:

  1. Nice Job Chels! I haven't a crafty bone in my body so Kuddo's to you. I'm buying my replacement cushions for myself for Mother's Day. Joe will faint when he sees the reciept. lol.
    Got my first call home from Ronni@ boot camp yesterday. She is so home sick. it was the hardest phone call I've had. hopefully it's on 31 days until I get to see her.

    ReplyDelete